What a week.

The deadline for paper submission for the EuroVis 2013 was this weekend. I wanted to submit my current work there, and therefore the motto for this week was: “paper writing and polishing”. Hard work! And now I am curious about the results. I am satisfied with my results, but, of course, the reviewers have to be satisfied as well. And a bit of luck is required as well, as there is strong competition.

However, because the double blind reviewing process is now running, I, of course, cannot write about this work here (yet).

In the years from 2007 to 2012 I worked at the Visualization Research Center of the University of Stuttgart, respectively at the Institute for Visualization and Interactive Systems. The core topic of my work was research and development of visualizations for data sets from molecular dynamics simulations. My work was financed by the Collaborative Research Center (SFB) 716 of the German Research Foundation (DFG). One goal was to be able to handle ever larger data sets in interactive visualization. A second goal was to support efficient visual analysis, utilizing meaningful representations derived from the original data.

Finally, in 2007 I presented my first work at the IEEE VIS Conference in Sacramento, a paper with the title “Visual Verification and Analysis of Cluster Detection for Molecular Dynamics” [1]. This work focuses on algorithms for detecting of clusters of molecules, predecessors of liquid droplets in vapor. Each of these detection algorithms has its strong and weak points. Therefore, the visual analysis and comparison of the results are very important. Especially the temporal stability of the detected clusters and their interaction with each other are crucial factors.

Thus we (my colleagues and I) defined “flow groups” to identify interesting areas within the data sets. A “flow group” is a group of molecules, moving from one point in time from one molecule cluster to a second molecule cluster at a second point in time, this this group comprises all molecules switch between two clusters together. This definition enables us to visually judge the stability of an algorithm and even to compare two different algorithms. This publication was the first corner stone for my dissertation thesis: “Point-based Visualization of Molecular Dynamics Data Sets”.

[1] [doi] S. Grottel, G. Reina, J. Vrabec, and T. Ertl, “Visual Verification and Analysis of Cluster Detection for Molecular Dynamics,” Visualization and Computer Graphics, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 13, iss. 6, pp. 1624-1631, 2007.
  author = {Grottel, Sebastian and Reina, Guido and Vrabec, Jadran and Ertl, Thomas},
  journal={Visualization and Computer Graphics, IEEE Transactions on}, 
  number = 6,
  pages = {1624--1631},
  title = {{Visual Verification and Analysis of Cluster Detection for Molecular Dynamics}},
  volume = 13,
  year = 2007,
Tagged with: ,

It’s the first sunday after I promised to write a post each sunday. Well, at least I warned you that not all posts will be meaningful. So let’s start directly with the non-meaningful ones:

Some days ago I heard a discussion (more like a monolog), where an expert (Linux user, which only touches Windows using thick gloves, and only if he really must) presented his opinion: “Windows 7 was the way it was, but Windows 8 is not suitable for desktop computers”.

Really, I cannot stand this non-sense! Did you ever try using Windows 8? (“Using” not “trying out”!) I did. On my desktop computer. And you know what? It works perfectly! The tile menu in Windows 8 is just fine, the apps can be ignored without effort, and on the legacy desktop there are so many small improvements that I really enjoy working with it. Okey, most of the GUI changes are optimized for touch input. Using on a normal desktop computer you need to use a special hardware called: MOUSE!

I decided to write more about my “work” here.

I am doing research in the field of interactive Visualization of large data sets from scientific sources, like physical simulations. Additionally, I am interested in the visual analysis of abstract but structured data, like graphs. I focus on efficient representation and exploration.

Currently I am employed as PostDoc at the Technical University Dresden at the Computer Graphics and Visualization lab. Next up I will post and discuss some of my older works here.

Some of you might have noticed that SGrottel.de was unavailable for about two weeks now.
I am trying to clean up the mess and to reconstruct the lost data (post only. Comments are lost for sure).

Just a quick note: Never NEVER EVER trust a backup system you have not set up yourself.

Busy days. But I am pretty happy with my new Job. And I like my new flat and my new city. … New life. 🙂

However, my private projects are not completely on hold. Especially my brain is working as usual. Thus I finally found the name for my board game:

Knights Hunt

In German it is “Springerjagd”. I like the name because is focuses on the “Knights” chess pieces. Especially the German name can be interpreted both as a hunt of knights as well as a hunt after knights. (I hope this is right in English) And I hope this duality in the meaning is somewhat present in the English version of the name as well.

Although there is not much news on the game software development itself I secured the corresponding internet domain name. 🙂 http://knights-hunt.net (or http://springerjagd.net) Hopefully, I will be able to fill that site with some content.

I am online again!

Due to me moving to a new city I was without internet for four weeks (ok, I have internet at my work, but this obviously does not count). This is a damn long time! But now, the waiting has come to an end.

Next up:

I got one bug report each for Burns 3 and Dib. I am gonna look into these the next days. For the Burns 3 bug I already wrote a workaround and I am waiting for a confirmation that this fixes the problem.